ABOUT THE CONCLAVE:
Technical education is instrumental in creating skilled manpower, enhancing industrial productivity, economic progress, and thus improving the quality of life. India, being one of the young human resource nations, is at the forefront in imparting quality technical education by establishing technical universities and institutes of excellence. The massification of technical education is achieved with a substantial increase in GER (Gross Enrolment Ratio), but the quality of skillsets imparted among graduates still debated, often commented as ‘institutes produce engineering graduates but not engineers’.
The advent of digital technologies which had transformed the teaching and learning process, an amalgamation of various domains leading to the emergence of new subjects, and diverse requirement of market needs are the challenges for technical institutions. There is a need to leverage technologies to meet the requirements of the digital literate student community. The inter-institutional collaborations are of imperative importance for the development of higher education and skill development. The collaborative efforts among institutions help in understanding strengths and weaknesses, enhances the performance and competitiveness, facilitate institutions to scale up their profiles to global benchmarks. Higher education institutions need to refocus on research-oriented learning which revolves around inquisitive, problem-oriented & critical thinking, creative working, and practical application. This enables students to develop the prerequisite trait of research competency, skillsets for market demands which increases employability opportunities and finally innovations at large to impact society.
The need for reinventing the entire technical education ecosystem is the need of the hour to achieve excellence in technical institutions/universities. The challenges can be better addressed by deliberations and learning from each other by technical education universities. The second Tech VC conclave is envisioned to create a common platform for all technical universities vice chancellors exchange ideas and success stories for the benefit of each other.
The First Tech VCs’ Conclave:
Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), successfully organized First Tech. VCs’ Conclave with a theme: “Collaborate Innovate Educate” during 23-24 November 2018 in collaboration with AICTE and Springer Nature at Bangalore. Vice-Chancellors from various Technical Universities participated and shared their success stories and best practices in the conclave. The plenary talks and panels discussed and deliberated several issues related to technical education and possible solutions to address the anticipated challenges. The event was well appreciated by various stakeholders and expressed their desire to make it as an annual event.
The Second Tech VCs’ Conclave:
In order to take the Tech VCs’ conclave series to further heights, this year JNTUA, Ananthapuramu, is organizing 2nd Tech VCs’ Conclave with a theme “Reinventing Excellence in Technical Education” in Joint partnership of Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), Belagavi, All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and LIS Academy, Bangalore. A Satellite meeting will be arranged exclusively for Vice-Chancellors on “Challenges and Opportunities in Technical Education”.
Objectives of the Conclave:
- To develop inter-institutional collaborations among Technological Universities in the country to understand strengths and weaknesses and enhance the performance and competitiveness and also to facilitate institutions to scale up their profiles to global benchmarks, exchange ideas, expertise, facilities and infrastructure.
- To enable technical institutions in the country to refocus on research-oriented learning which revolves around inquisitive, problem-oriented & critical thinking, creative working and practical application.
- To emulate the triple helical model of “academia – research institutes –industry” collaboration and to empower institutes to focus on research-oriented teaching which leads to larger inventions and innovations.
- To evolve framework to establish and share state-of-the –art Infrastructure facilities among TechnologicalUniversities
- To promote and assist Technological Universities to develop E-Resource Consortium and Research Information Management System (RIMS) among their affiliated institutions